Skip to main content

What is the fostering application process like?

So, you're curious, but also worried.

You're thinking, what will the approval process be like? What will they want to know about me, my life, and if you have them, children and partner? Is the process long? It is intrusive?

I bet you will have all sorts of questions. I know I did.

I was lucky. I had friends who had been through the process and so I had a bit of a heads up.

Whilst the application process will vary slightly depending on your local authority or agency, there are some aspects that are (near) universal. Below is meant as a guide. It might not be perfect but if you do apply, hopefully they'll be less surprises. It seems daunting but your council or agency will help you through it.

Firstly, after expressing an interest either in person, online or on the phone, you'll probably have a short phone conversation and then an invite to an information evening. These are informal. Usually some slides, a short talk and handouts, followed by a Q&A. With biscuits too.

If at the end of this you're still interested, you'll be invited to look further into fostering. You'll usually have a home visit involving a social worker or agency worker talking to you about why you want to foster and what you can offer. At this point they're just seeking information from you. They may ask you to sign a form saying you wish to apply to be a carer and you're happy for checks to be done. You may have to present ID at this stage too.

The government set out a maximum time frame for fostering applications. Fostering applications generally are in three stages:

1. Information gathering
2. Detailed assessment
3. Panel

1. Information gathering
In stage one the information they need includes:
a. ID - passport, driving licence etc
b. DBS check
c. Local authority check
d. Employer reference (if applicable)
e. 3x written personal references
f. Medical reference

If you have children, your child's school may be contacted too.
If you're in a couple, then both you and your partner will have to provide the above information separately.

2. Detailed assessment
You may start this before stage one is complete, but if you do it might be only one or two checks outstanding. Your social worker wont start stage two unless they're confident all checks will be satisfactory.

The main part of your detailed assessment (often called a Skills Assessment) is a long (very long) form detailing your life, history, aspirations, what you can offer to fostering, what your understanding of childhood development and fostering is and more besides. It is split into lots of smaller questions and your social worker will help you through it. It is a must. This form goes to panel - it is what those deciding whether or not to recommend you as a carer read before they meet you.

It is long mind. It takes 3-4 months to write. Your social worker will write sections based on interviews with you (and your partner and children if you have them) and they'll ask you to write some of the easier sections.

Is it intrusive? Yes, is the simple answer. But this is not necessarily a bad thing. In the section on life history and experiences, be honest. There may be negative things in your background but be forthcoming. Those experiences, whilst you wouldn't wish them on anyone else, the fact that you've lived through them gives you a great insight and could possibly help a little one go through recover from the same experiences. Turn your negatives into positives.

I have an example.

As a little one I suffered from severe sleep problems due to various issues. As a not so little one I underwent counselling and got through those issues. But this, whilst a bad experience for me, means I can empathise with a little one who has been through the same issues. Writing about it, and discussing it with my social worker was hard, I must admit, but it made my application stronger, and I would truly wish to help any child with the same experiences because I've been there.

If you get lost with this form, speak to your social worker. They're there to help you.

Once completed the final draft is usually read over by another social worker, just in case any edits are needed.

As part of stage two you need to undergo a skills course; usually 4-5 days or evenings. It is well worth going.

Other forms you may have to fill in:
Chronology - a list of all the homes you've lived in since birth and a list of all employments since 18
A social connections map - a diagram that shows your friends and family and the level of support they can give you.
Pet questionnaire - if you have a cat, dog, snake etc, you need to fill in a short form for each pet - with information like age, gender, whether neutered, if they're good with children etc.

At this stage two to three of your referees will be interviewed on the phone or in person too.

Whilst you've been doing your skills assessment, your social worker might get you doing other paperwork on the assumption you'll be approved. For example a profile of you and your house that can be given to any child who comes to stay with you.

Furthermore whilst the paperwork is being done your home will be inspected to make sure its safe for children. If modifications need to be made they have to be completed before you go to panel. For example I needed to put kiddie gates on my staircase and a first aid box in my kitchen. No biggie.

3. Panel

When all your paperwork is very close to completion, your social worker will book you an appointment with the fostering panel - you can't actually attend until all paperwork is 100pc complete however. The panel is a group of people with experiences relevant to foster care who will read your assessment and then ask you a few questions. This should take 20-60 minutes and will be with 5-10 people. Mine was with seven. I was dead nervous but my social worker was sat right next to me. I was asked about 10 questions, all of which I could answer easily.

For me the format was - my social worker spoke to the panel without me for c10 mins. I was called in and answered questions for c30mins and then I was sent out whilst the panel and my social worker chatted further. Then after what seemed an age but must've been 10 mins I was called back in and told the good news - I'd been recommended for approval. Mine was a 'long' panel I'm told. Most are less than c50mins total.

The chairman of the panel then read out a list of reasons for their approval of me - ie what skills they thought I had, what I had to offer etc. They also gave two recommendations which I took on board.

The panel issue a recommendation for your approval. Now you're 95pc approved. The decision does have to be ratified though before you are actually approved. This usually take 7-10 nerve wracking days.

So...

That is the process.

Sounds a lot doesn't it. It is. But it needs to be. Your council or agency is entrusting you with vulnerable children. They've never met you before so need to make the right decision based on all those forms and interviews.

For me, from the day I filled in an online inquiry form to the day I was ratified was nine and a half months. It was a further five days til my first kid came to stay.

In total I had two telephone calls, one information evening, eight home visits (three in stage one, five in stage two), a lot of form filling and endless emails back and form during my assessment plus my panel appearance and training course, but I tell you what, for the joy of looking after my first kid all the way through to my most recent, it was well worth it.

Love Bristol Fostering.

Check out are FB Here

NB Bristol Fostering is a personal blog and not affiliated with any fostering agency. The author just happens to be a foster carer in Bristol, UK

We do recommend Bristol Council though as they're fab. Bristol Council fostering enquiry form


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The value of possessions

What if your only possession was a teddy, a book or a photo? How would you feel if you had to leave the only home you've ever known with a stranger, and then be taken to another stranger's home, to live with a group of people who are all brand new and perhaps scary to you. Not all, but a good proportion of kids enter care with just a small amount of belongings. This could be because they've entered care as an emergency and there wasn't the opportunity to grab much, or it could simply be because the child didn't have many clothes or toys in the first place, so even though their placement is planned, they have limited possessions to call their own. Imagine how you would feel if you were 10 years old, brought to a stranger's home where you could be living for just a day to up to many years. You're not sure what is happening to you, it's all new, but what you do know is that despite the negative situation you were in, you still love mummy and daddy and y

The nearly kids

Whilst in an ideal world no child would ever need to come into care, the fact is they do. There are kids all over Britain that have been neglected or abused. Who have seen things even adults should never witness, or who live with a parent unable to look after them for health reasons. In Bristol at any one time there are around 700 children in care out of the 85,000 young people aged 16 or under in the city. When you’re a foster carer unless your social worker knows you’re unavailable, generally if you have a spare room you will be asked to take on a child. You can say no of course. Perhaps the child doesn’t fit your current situation, or they want you to look after the child longer than you know you can. There are many that you will say yes to, especially if you’re a respite or emergency carer, and, oddly, many of these children will never make it to your home and yet you wonder about them. You’ve said ‘yes’ to the question ‘can you take a child tonight?’ You’ve read their pa

Week in the life of a respite foster carer 18

Hello! For those of you unfamiliar, I offer respite foster care and cover emergencies. Respite is where you give either another foster carer or a child's family a break by having their child for usually 1-7 nights, quite often just one or two nights. Emergency placements are where Social Services phone you and ask you to take a child that night for at least one night. I've done this a few times and least notice I've had is 15mins and most 7hrs. Some of these kids have stayed just one night; longest was 21 nights. I've looked after 19 kids to date. Monday - no kids (but nearly kids) I am marked as available to take up to two kids today as my rooms are currently free. Early in the day I get phoned about two kids. Not related; completely seperate. A teen girl and an asylum seeking child. I ask for the referrals and these are duly sent. I have a good read, then read them again. The girl troubles me. There are quite a lot of difficult behaviours, but t