Skip to main content

Brave new world

Where to start?

With details about me, about the kids I look after and will look after in the years to come?

With the answers to the questions you're undoubtedly thinking?

Can I foster? Am I too young or old? Do I have to be in a relationship? Can I be LGBT+ and foster? Do I have to own my own home?

Well, first off, understandably I wont be able to share the details of any kids in my care. Privacy is paramount. Instead I will offer tidbits and snapshots and little insights that I hope you find helpful.

About the title... well I am based in Bristol, UK, a city which I love, and whose people I adore. But, like every town and city in the UK, there are not enough foster carers. I hope that by reading this blog you may be spurred into picking up that phone and making an inquiry with your local authority, or you fill in that online form, or attend a local drop in meeting. Btw I'm not tied to any agency or authority, this is my own brainwave.

The first step, as they say, if often the most important.

Just like this blog. It's set up, I'm full of ideas, stories, tales and more that I want to share with you.

I'll be aiming for one to two posts per week. Around Sunday/Monday and around Wednesday/Thursday. Put it in your diary.

But first, let me introduce myself.

I am a foster carer in the Bristol area and I currently look after 1-2 children at a time, aged 5+, thought I tend to have teenagers. I wanted to foster carer for a number of years before I finally picked up the courage to make first contact (yes, that was a Star Trek reference, because fostering can seem like entering a whole new world). I wish I'd done it sooner, but my personal situation meant that I had to ensure I was 'ready'. Mentally, physically, emotionally and financially.

Well now, that's a lil about me.

So what am I going to talk about... I want this blog to help people make informed decisions about fostering, and so the very first posts will be about the application and approval process, who can foster, and what kind of person you need to be, allowances and discounts and more.

If there is anything you would like to ask me or for me to write a post about, leave a comment and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.


Bristol Fostering x.



NB Bristol Fostering is a personal blog and not affiliated with any fostering agency. The author just happens to live in Bristol, UK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The value of possessions

What if your only possession was a teddy, a book or a photo? How would you feel if you had to leave the only home you've ever known with a stranger, and then be taken to another stranger's home, to live with a group of people who are all brand new and perhaps scary to you. Not all, but a good proportion of kids enter care with just a small amount of belongings. This could be because they've entered care as an emergency and there wasn't the opportunity to grab much, or it could simply be because the child didn't have many clothes or toys in the first place, so even though their placement is planned, they have limited possessions to call their own. Imagine how you would feel if you were 10 years old, brought to a stranger's home where you could be living for just a day to up to many years. You're not sure what is happening to you, it's all new, but what you do know is that despite the negative situation you were in, you still love mummy and daddy and y

Week in the life of a respite foster carer 18

Hello! For those of you unfamiliar, I offer respite foster care and cover emergencies. Respite is where you give either another foster carer or a child's family a break by having their child for usually 1-7 nights, quite often just one or two nights. Emergency placements are where Social Services phone you and ask you to take a child that night for at least one night. I've done this a few times and least notice I've had is 15mins and most 7hrs. Some of these kids have stayed just one night; longest was 21 nights. I've looked after 19 kids to date. Monday - no kids (but nearly kids) I am marked as available to take up to two kids today as my rooms are currently free. Early in the day I get phoned about two kids. Not related; completely seperate. A teen girl and an asylum seeking child. I ask for the referrals and these are duly sent. I have a good read, then read them again. The girl troubles me. There are quite a lot of difficult behaviours, but t

Week in the life of a foster carer 23

Hello! For those of you unfamiliar, I offer shared foster care and cover emergencies. Shared care is where you give either another foster carer or a child's family a break by having their child for usually 1-7 nights, quite often just one or two nights. Emergency care are where Social Services phone you and ask you to take a child that night for at least one night. I've done this over a dozen times and least notice I've had is 15mins and most 7hrs. Some of these kids have stayed just one night; longest was 21 nights. I've looked after 23 kids to date. Monday - kids Lilo and Stitch are still with me but were due to go back to their main carer this morning, however she's asked for an extension due to illness. You can't just pass kids between you however so we sort it via our social workers. I let school know the kids will be staying with me until Tuesday too. They get off to school well and the evening is all good too. We play games and have