Skip to main content

Week in the life of a respite foster carer 18


Hello!

For those of you unfamiliar, I offer respite foster care and cover emergencies.

Respite is where you give either another foster carer or a child's family a break by having their child for usually 1-7 nights, quite often just one or two nights.

Emergency placements are where Social Services phone you and ask you to take a child that night for at least one night. I've done this a few times and least notice I've had is 15mins and most 7hrs. Some of these kids have stayed just one night; longest was 21 nights.

I've looked after 19 kids to date.


Monday - no kids (but nearly kids)

I am marked as available to take up to two kids today as my rooms are currently free.

Early in the day I get phoned about two kids. Not related; completely seperate. A teen girl and an asylum seeking child. I ask for the referrals and these are duly sent. I have a good read, then read them again. The girl troubles me. There are quite a lot of difficult behaviours, but things I have seen before, however the total sum still troubles me somewhat. I say 'no' to her, my first ever no - that's how much I was troubled. The asylum seeking child - what can you say. There is never a lot of info on them. This one is from a country new to me, as in I haven't had a child from this country yet, and the child has travelled through very dangerous countries, and was lucky to survive the journey into the UK.

I say 'yes' to the boy at middayish, and then, nothing. I think placement team are trying to find a better option as I can only keep him for four days which isn't ideal. After another few hours of not hearing back I ring my social worker to find out what is happening. Turns out placement have found a better option for the young man - pity no one told me. I'd made up the spare room and was thinking of African foods I might cook him. Oh well. I am pleased it has worked out for the young chap.

During the day my social workers emailed a new form we are to use when writing about the kids we look after. Hmmm. I don't like new forms.

Tuesday - kids!

I'm not sleeping well, and woke up far too early, meaning by 10am I am shattered. Sooo, wellll, I go back to sleep for a few hours. When I get up, I get called pretty much straight away to take an asylum seeking child. Let's call him Jeffrey. Jeffrey arrives two hours after I say yes. He is anxious, you can see it in his posture, how he talks, what he does. It must be so confusing for him.

After the social workers leave we order some food and he asks for a shower. I show him his room and lay out the spare clothes.

Oddly he is not scared of loud noises. I mention this because the last children I have had from his country have been. He notices the fireworks and seems excited by them, so I take him to a fireworks display. This is bizarre. Maybe he thinks there are fireworks in the UK all the time. I try to explain my best. But all I can think to say in his language is 'November 5th - party'. He loves the fireworks though. Huge beaming smile!

He goes to bed early, which is expected really, however he wakes up many times during the night. He's in a lot of pain and I do my best for him.

Wednesday - kids!

I started today with one child, and ended the day with two! These things happen.

When I was about to take Jeffrey to town social services rang and asked if I would take another boy from his country. They had almost no information at all. Very little indeed but this is fairly normal for this type of child. I say yes but note that we're heading off to town and that the boy and social worker will have to meet us somewhere like a coffee shop. We head to town not knowing where any meet up might take place but I've been told a social worker will ring about 5pm.

In the first instance me and Jeffrey go clothes shopping. - When children are new into care you get an allowance to cover their initial clothing needs, usually about £100. We head off to Primark and get a few things but he doesn't want a jacket/coat. This seems silly as it'll be getting cold soon. We do get underwear, joggers, tshirts, hoodie and a backpack though.

After shopping I take Jeffrey to a youth club in town I think he'll like. I've already explained via the interpreter that I will leave him be, and then collect him at 7pm. He's happy with this.



Just after I leave I get a call from a social worker giving the location to meet the other boy - a doctor's waiting room - and so I duly find the location and meet up. He, lets call him Edward, seems very scared. I really feel for him as he sits there with four strangers and an interpreter. After about 10 minutes me and Edward head back to the youth club where I intend to leave him until 7pm too. I fill in his registration form then pop to Primark to get him a tracksuit, pants and socks, so he has enough for at least today/tomorrow.

At 7pm we all meet up and head to the bus stop to go home. Edward seemed surprised by his bag of clothes. During the bus journey Edward and Jeffrey chit chat which is good to see. I show him his room when he gets in. Edward is amazed the other room is bigger than his (the door has been closed) but then I point out he does have the TV.

Neither want any food for tea when I ask - which is worrying but I notice Edward devouring the fruit on the table so I leave them to it. Edward, his first night in care, sleeps about 10hrs. Jeffrey continues to have patchy sleep.

Thursday - kids!

In the morning I get rung and asked to take Edward to a screening interview. This is where an asylum seeker is asked about their background, family, age and how they came to be in the UK. I get the interpreter on the phone and explain this to Edward. I also tell him I will take him clothes shopping. Jeffrey has to come with us as he doesn't like being left alone. Whilst I have the interpreter on the phone I ask Jeffrey how he is and he says he's still unwell, so I tell him we'll go back to the pharmacy for some stronger medication.

Going to town is no problem. Me and Jeffrey drop Edward off at his interview and pop out for food and to the pharmacy. When we collect Edward we then go clothes shopping and are back at mine in time for cricket club in the evening. Cricket is a bust as most of the others are young and my two do not like playing with youngsters, but they have a little laugh.

Just before bed I get the interpreter up to tell them to pack their belongings and that a social worker will collect them 0830 Friday. Luckily I check their rooms as I spot Edward has smuggled all my towels into his bag. Hmmmmmmm. He unpacks them and I give him one to keep, returning the rest to the cupboard. Hmmmmm again.

Friday - kids, in fact four kids!

Busy day today. I have Jeffrey and Edward leaving. Not because I do not want to keep them but because I have two other kids in the diary due to come after school, meaning they have to leave. I know neither have a room for tonight, yet, but I do not tell them this. I just tell them a social worker is coming to pick them up to take them to their next carer, which they will once one is found.

As soon as they leave I have to head out to a training course. I decide to cycle as it is quicker than the bus, oddly. But OMG those hills. My legs think that they will fall off. The training course is superb. I really enjoy it. It's a small group of 10 carers plus some social workers leading the training. Its 3hrs long and the time flies. When I get home I have about two hours before I need to pick Lilo and Stitch up from school for their weekend stay with me so I quickly put the bedding in the washing machine and have a tidy. I also complete the end of placement paperwork for Edward and Jeffrey and send it to my social worker.

When I pick them up from school they are bouncing. Really really excited. So excited they both talk at once for about 30 minutes and I don't catch what either of them really say. All is well though and they settle down for tea and, eventually, bed time.

Saturday - kids!

As is tradition, on a Saturday Lilo and Stitch and myself go out somewhere of their choice. They, for some unknown reason want to take the No 1 bus out to the end of the route. I've told them we can't just get a bus for the sake of it, so they've asked to go to a park/farm type space where the No 1 goes.

It's pouring though. Really really tipping it down. I ask the kids if they're sure they really want to go out. 'Yes!' They do have wellies with them after all, as well as raincoats. It's only me that is under-prepared. We head off to the bus to town, go to Subway for lunch and then pick up the No 1 bus out of town to the farm we're going to go explore.

I must admit I was sceptical but it really was fun. Muddy, cold, wet, yes, but also very fun. The kids splash around in giant puddles and we see horses. The oak woods are glorious in their changing colour. The kids do get wet and cold but only seem to notice when we head home. There is a small problem though. Stitch has a meltdown when I ask them to put their backpack on so that they do not lose it whilst we explore. And, when I'm not looking they duly do lose it. I'm not sure if accidentally or on purpose but it is gone, and they do not care telling me 'Oh well, I'll be bought a new one.'. Hmmmm.

When we get in we warm and settle down to tea and Lego games. Bedtime is easy. A fab day all round.

Sunday - kids!

Lilo and Stitch are still here busy being little kids. They're quite excitable. It is Lilo's turn to decide what we do and they've opted for 'bake a cake'. Sounds good to me. The last one we did was a bit rubbish but the one we make today was super yum.

Most of the day we play Lego. When the time comes to take them back to their main carer they immediately ask when they're coming again.

After I drop them off I head over to a friend's for curry for a few hours, and then when I get home I do my end of placement paperwork for Lilo and Stitch.

Another weekend with them over and done.


More later as the week goes on....

All the best, BF

NB Bristol Fostering is a personal blog and not affiliated with any fostering agency. The author just happens to be a foster carer in Bristol, UK

We do recommend Bristol Council though as they're fab. Bristol Council fostering inquiry form



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The value of possessions

What if your only possession was a teddy, a book or a photo? How would you feel if you had to leave the only home you've ever known with a stranger, and then be taken to another stranger's home, to live with a group of people who are all brand new and perhaps scary to you. Not all, but a good proportion of kids enter care with just a small amount of belongings. This could be because they've entered care as an emergency and there wasn't the opportunity to grab much, or it could simply be because the child didn't have many clothes or toys in the first place, so even though their placement is planned, they have limited possessions to call their own. Imagine how you would feel if you were 10 years old, brought to a stranger's home where you could be living for just a day to up to many years. You're not sure what is happening to you, it's all new, but what you do know is that despite the negative situation you were in, you still love mummy and daddy and y

The nearly kids

Whilst in an ideal world no child would ever need to come into care, the fact is they do. There are kids all over Britain that have been neglected or abused. Who have seen things even adults should never witness, or who live with a parent unable to look after them for health reasons. In Bristol at any one time there are around 700 children in care out of the 85,000 young people aged 16 or under in the city. When you’re a foster carer unless your social worker knows you’re unavailable, generally if you have a spare room you will be asked to take on a child. You can say no of course. Perhaps the child doesn’t fit your current situation, or they want you to look after the child longer than you know you can. There are many that you will say yes to, especially if you’re a respite or emergency carer, and, oddly, many of these children will never make it to your home and yet you wonder about them. You’ve said ‘yes’ to the question ‘can you take a child tonight?’ You’ve read their pa