Skip to main content

Seeing potential

To most people my garden looks like a wild mess.

To some people it looks untended, unkempt and unloved.

To a few people, those who pause taking the time to sit and listen, they see its full of bugs and birds and hidden flowers.

To me, I see my garden as a work in progress. I don’t see the snapshot others see. I see where it came from. Yes it was wild before, but a different kind of wild. It was harsh. It was brambles, ivy, overgrown hedging and a fallen down tree.

I see the flowers growing where before were knots of ivy tendrils and vegetables sewn where previously only thorns were found.

I see a repaired greenhouse and a rediscovered path. I see a new seating area, ponds and a bird bath.

I see the potential shape of the garden in years to come. I see the jobs that need doing over summer, into autumn and over winter so that it shines again next summer.

Why does this matter at all?

Well because I know that years of neglect take time to heal. A garden not tended for a decade will not suddenly become a haven. I also know that perceptions, or ‘snapshots’ matter and that seeing the overall journey – or the ‘bigger picture’ – is important when keeping perspective.

So when a bramble tries to grow again, I remember the 40+ established brambles I tried to dig out.

When my kid gobbles down their dinner in two seconds flat, I remember that two years ago they didn’t know where their next meal was coming from.

When I see the part of the garden I haven’t had time to look at yet, even after living in my home for years, I think of my kid’s behaviours that I let slide.  I don’t mind that they find it hard to sit still or shout when playing games because I know in the past they couldn’t concentrate for five minutes.

When looking after a child in care you can’t try to ‘fix’ things rather you’ve got to nurture the potential that is there. Guide them, help them flourish and help them understand harmful behaviours they may show. But, you can’t do this all at once either. You need to consider what is more important – for example – is it more important to help a child feel safe and secure at bedtime, or pick them up for not eating all their dinner again. Or is it better to focus on the good things they did at school, rather than look at the not so good things that occurred.

You, like with newly planted flowers, need to give a child space, love and attention, to grow. – If a child struggles at school with their reading, they’re not suddenly going to love reading a bedtime book, but give it time, let their confidence grow with your help and they’ll get there.

As for snapshots vs knowing how things have improved. Well when someone sees my garden for the first time I know they may see the weeds growing at the back whereas I remember what it used to look like. When your child has a tantrum in the park and other parents look on, you’ll know how difficult it was to get them to the park in the first place, and praise them when they get home for being brave and going out to the park. The parent may think ‘what a naughty child’ but you know different.


When I’m having a difficult day, I sit still in my garden and think of how far it’s come. I take stock and think to the future. Just like when a kid throws their dinner on the floor, but this time helps clear it up. I look at what’s gone before and what will be. 


All the best, BF

NB Bristol Fostering is a personal blog and not affiliated with any fostering agency. The author just happens to be a foster carer in Bristol, UK

Our FB page is here: Facebook page!


We do recommend Bristol Council though as they're fab. Bristol Council fostering enquiry form

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The value of possessions

What if your only possession was a teddy, a book or a photo? How would you feel if you had to leave the only home you've ever known with a stranger, and then be taken to another stranger's home, to live with a group of people who are all brand new and perhaps scary to you. Not all, but a good proportion of kids enter care with just a small amount of belongings. This could be because they've entered care as an emergency and there wasn't the opportunity to grab much, or it could simply be because the child didn't have many clothes or toys in the first place, so even though their placement is planned, they have limited possessions to call their own. Imagine how you would feel if you were 10 years old, brought to a stranger's home where you could be living for just a day to up to many years. You're not sure what is happening to you, it's all new, but what you do know is that despite the negative situation you were in, you still love mummy and daddy and y

Week in the life of a respite foster carer 18

Hello! For those of you unfamiliar, I offer respite foster care and cover emergencies. Respite is where you give either another foster carer or a child's family a break by having their child for usually 1-7 nights, quite often just one or two nights. Emergency placements are where Social Services phone you and ask you to take a child that night for at least one night. I've done this a few times and least notice I've had is 15mins and most 7hrs. Some of these kids have stayed just one night; longest was 21 nights. I've looked after 19 kids to date. Monday - no kids (but nearly kids) I am marked as available to take up to two kids today as my rooms are currently free. Early in the day I get phoned about two kids. Not related; completely seperate. A teen girl and an asylum seeking child. I ask for the referrals and these are duly sent. I have a good read, then read them again. The girl troubles me. There are quite a lot of difficult behaviours, but t

Week in the life of a foster carer 23

Hello! For those of you unfamiliar, I offer shared foster care and cover emergencies. Shared care is where you give either another foster carer or a child's family a break by having their child for usually 1-7 nights, quite often just one or two nights. Emergency care are where Social Services phone you and ask you to take a child that night for at least one night. I've done this over a dozen times and least notice I've had is 15mins and most 7hrs. Some of these kids have stayed just one night; longest was 21 nights. I've looked after 23 kids to date. Monday - kids Lilo and Stitch are still with me but were due to go back to their main carer this morning, however she's asked for an extension due to illness. You can't just pass kids between you however so we sort it via our social workers. I let school know the kids will be staying with me until Tuesday too. They get off to school well and the evening is all good too. We play games and have