Skip to main content

Week in the life of a foster carer 24


Hello!

For those of you unfamiliar, I offer shared foster care and cover emergencies.

Shared care is where you give either another foster carer or a child's family a break by having their child for usually 1-7 nights, quite often just one or two nights.

Emergency care are where Social Services phone you and ask you to take a child that night for at least one night. I've done this over a dozen times and least notice I've had is 15mins and most 7hrs. Some of these kids have stayed just one night; longest was 21 nights.

I've looked after 24 kids to date.

Monday - no kids

On Friday it had been agreed that I would take a girl from today for the week however as I had not heard much by about lunchtime I rung Placement team and turns out that another carer had been found for her who could keep her for longer.

Placement then asked me to take two brothers, however I was not keen to take both feeling that one might constantly set the other off. I agreed to take the younger from Tuesday subject to his social worker being okay with the situation and a few issues being addressed.

So no child coming today but I still get the rooms ready so I don't have to rush around on the Tuesday.

Tuesday I am also hosting a fostering event so I get my bag packed full of leaflets ready on the Monday night.

The little boy is staying with another carer at the moment so I ring them in the evening to see what the score is. We have a 30minute chat which is really helpful. 

I'm glad of a night off and am not entirely sure if I want the boy to come Tuesday but I've already agreed.

Tuesday - kids!

Before little one, lets call him Kenneth, arrives, I have an event to host in the morning so feel a bit rushed. I will get paid £20 though and I need the money, plus, well, I enjoy hosting these events.

I walk down to the venue with my bag of leaflets and 'come speak to me' sign. The coffee morning goes really well. Five prospective carers pop by and two sign up for a call back from a social worker which is a good result.

After I get home I notice I've had three missed calls and two emails about the boy who is coming in the afternoon. It's all been agreed. His current carer texts me the time she expects to be over and the usual nerves set in. I have two hours but they fly by.

Kenneth is a bit nervous when he gets to mine as is his carer.

He wants to unpack his belongings. I say unpack, in reality he has two bags of clothes and one teddy and that's it. But still he gets to it happily and does a tour of the house at his pace. He doesnt have many clothes - three outfits - but it's enough for the moment.

My social worker asks if we can do a Placement Planning Meeting at 830am the next morning. This is so early! And Kenneth needs to be there too to speak to his social worker and so I'll need to get the sausage up early.

First night with Kenneth goes well I feel. Let's see what the week brings.

Wednesday - kids!

Kenneth slept well and gets up early for his meeting with his social worker. Me, Kenneth, my social worker and Kenneth's social worker have a chat for a bit about how he's doing and he plays on the floor with my Micro Machines truck. He then goes upstairs to play whilst we talk about the best way to look after him and what the plans are for the future.

Kenneth has a form of education for three hours in the morning so trundles off to that and seems to enjoy it. When he comes back we play games for most of the day. He settles well for bed, and that's it for the day.

Thursday - kids!

Kenneth this morning has some education provision. It isn't school but its designed to get him back into school. He is about four years behind but is also an inquisitive and bright chap in many ways.

When he gets back we have lunch and relax for a few hours before he has the dentist - his first check up in years. When a child is new into care in their first four weeks they have to see the dentist, doctor and opticians. One down, two to go.

During the day my social worker pops by with some cash to get little one a Christmas present plus money for repairs for damage another boy did a few weeks back.

He loved the dentist actually despite having a filling done.

In the evening we play games and he calls the carer who will have him next so they can chat a little. He's a lovely sausage. Gets off to bed no bother either.

Friday - kids!

Today little one has his semi education in the morning and when he gets back in we pop to Morrisons. He struggles with behaving like most kids would and decides to crawl round the supermarket. Luckily Im not one for embarassment and am happy to have him trail me on the floor though several shoppers nearly run him over with their shopping trollies.

After Morrisons we head home, play for a bit then out for fish and chips (or veggie burger and chips for me) which if I have a kid I do every Friday.

Later on we watch Larva on YouTube - which I'd never seen before and it's so so good. Also as it doesnt have any words, it'd be universally handy.

Kenneth is a funny one. He's old and young for his age. He can shower and get himself dressed no issue and knows the ins and outs of Minecraft, but also crawls around and watches nursery rhymes on the TV.

Good day though.

Saturday - kids!

Today was my first whole day with Kenneth and so we went to town to do a Primark clothes shop. Yes I know the clothes don't last as long as better quality items, but at this junture its about getting him a range of clothes, rather than just a few.  So we pick up joggers, hoodies, tshirts and more underwear from Primark, and then some bags from Sports Direct. We also pop into a haircare shop to get him a few products. That's £100 spent easily, without even trying.

We also pop to McDonalds as well, its comforting. It may be junk food, but sometimes you got to go with what you know and little one knows McDonalds, including exactly what they want.

Rest of the day in the house together goes well, so win.

Sunday - kids! 

Little one is starting to get a tiny bit bored of the Christmas holidays already. They're not used to entertaining themselves and it shows. Still we have an okay-ish day. It definately helps that we have two visits to do today. One to Lilo and Stitch's carer to give them their Christmas present, and one to a friend's for a cup of tea. Both trips out go well and little one goes off to bed easily.

Week done.


All the best, BF

NB Bristol Fostering is a personal blog and not affiliated with any fostering agency. The author just happens to be a foster carer in Bristol, UK

We do recommend Bristol Council though as they're fab. Bristol Council fostering inquiry form

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The value of possessions

What if your only possession was a teddy, a book or a photo? How would you feel if you had to leave the only home you've ever known with a stranger, and then be taken to another stranger's home, to live with a group of people who are all brand new and perhaps scary to you. Not all, but a good proportion of kids enter care with just a small amount of belongings. This could be because they've entered care as an emergency and there wasn't the opportunity to grab much, or it could simply be because the child didn't have many clothes or toys in the first place, so even though their placement is planned, they have limited possessions to call their own. Imagine how you would feel if you were 10 years old, brought to a stranger's home where you could be living for just a day to up to many years. You're not sure what is happening to you, it's all new, but what you do know is that despite the negative situation you were in, you still love mummy and daddy and y

Week in the life of a respite foster carer 18

Hello! For those of you unfamiliar, I offer respite foster care and cover emergencies. Respite is where you give either another foster carer or a child's family a break by having their child for usually 1-7 nights, quite often just one or two nights. Emergency placements are where Social Services phone you and ask you to take a child that night for at least one night. I've done this a few times and least notice I've had is 15mins and most 7hrs. Some of these kids have stayed just one night; longest was 21 nights. I've looked after 19 kids to date. Monday - no kids (but nearly kids) I am marked as available to take up to two kids today as my rooms are currently free. Early in the day I get phoned about two kids. Not related; completely seperate. A teen girl and an asylum seeking child. I ask for the referrals and these are duly sent. I have a good read, then read them again. The girl troubles me. There are quite a lot of difficult behaviours, but t

The nearly kids

Whilst in an ideal world no child would ever need to come into care, the fact is they do. There are kids all over Britain that have been neglected or abused. Who have seen things even adults should never witness, or who live with a parent unable to look after them for health reasons. In Bristol at any one time there are around 700 children in care out of the 85,000 young people aged 16 or under in the city. When you’re a foster carer unless your social worker knows you’re unavailable, generally if you have a spare room you will be asked to take on a child. You can say no of course. Perhaps the child doesn’t fit your current situation, or they want you to look after the child longer than you know you can. There are many that you will say yes to, especially if you’re a respite or emergency carer, and, oddly, many of these children will never make it to your home and yet you wonder about them. You’ve said ‘yes’ to the question ‘can you take a child tonight?’ You’ve read their pa